Bear Emerges From Hibernation

Hallllllllllelujah!! Almost 11 months later, and it runs! For those who don't know, I had spun a few bearings at the track last July.  It makes me so incredibly nervous starting a car back up after having multiple systems taken apart for an extended period of time. Things are bound to get broken and looked over, sensors forgotten to get plugged in or bolts misplaced. The past few weeks I have been going everyday, after work, on the weekends, to get my Evo back together. Now, okay I work very slowly, I had to google a LOT, and I never worked late into the nights. I don't like working on it at night and I didn't want to overkill myself since I was already starting to resent the car.




I wasn't completely under the motor, not as sketchy as it looks!

Bearings Everywhere!

I ran into so many problems during this whole process. Pretty much, I paid one of the guys at work to remove the engine, because I'm lazy, I picked up a built short block, and then all I had to do was swap everything from one block to the other. Theoretically this should be pretty simple and shouldn't really take long. Yeah, not the case. 


2.0L short block built by House Of Power, check them out!

A water pump bolt broke off in the block and I couldn't get it out so I tapped it. Of course, I tapped it to the one size bolt that literally no one makes and no one local can make. Finally, I found a Mercedes rod bolt in the same specs but it was too short, so I ended up shaving the water pump down to make this bolt work, because there wasn't enough room to tap it another size up.  Praying this water pump lasts forever, haha.
It took me days to get the damn throw out bearing disconnected to be able to separate the transmission from the old block. Literally, days.

Never again! lol

The new block got timed probably about 20 times due to not having the right tools and having to take the oil pump back off after I realized the pulley didn't turn.  I proudly can say I no longer have to look up how to time an Evo 8.


Taking the transmission off, I found my flywheel to be pretty burnt up so that's more money going onto my credit card that I don't have.
I now owe more on my credit card than I do on the car that I was hoping to pay off this Summer.  I was trying to add up the expenses yesterday and I literally can not add it up to the amount I owe right now.


All issues were because of my lack of experience, but that is how you learn, by doing things, and now I know for next time.


I haven't done a short block since I was in school a few years ago, which was on a Honda, and I have an absolutely horrible memory.  This was hands down a huge learning experience. It was annoying, frustrating, lonely(no one ever helps me or comes to hang out), and I often resented the car for it and wanted to just say fuck it.  Now that it is done, it is an immensely satisfying feeling that puts a smile on my face from ear to ear knowing that I did that, I put that together. Not many people, let alone females can say they can do that.  I also appreciate knowing what is broken, what had to be rigged, and what bolts or covers are missing, that way if I ever have a problem, I may have somewhat of an idea on where to look first.  


I also learned that when I break things on my car, I don't mind fixing them, because it is my fault. The guy who removed my engine had broke my oil pressure sensor but didn't realize he did, I didn't say anything but I was super annoyed and cursing his name trying to fix it, because well I didn't break it and it was a giant pain in the ass, but I know he'd feel really bad and his hands are too big to fix it anyways.
All that is left now is to break it in and get in touch with my tuner so I can get this thing on track!



Of course, I will keep this updated so be sure to check back for updates!



Popular Posts